Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Reading Room and got lolita!

*yawn*
shassu~
it's dollonstrings here. A long time no see. *bows*



My retirement plan is to open a book cafe. A cafe without walls, just bookshelves, and books of all kinds, old, rare, fairytales, fantasy, sci-fi that the patrons can peruse.

I saw some pictures of this place on facebook recently, and it looked kind of like my dream, so I hopped over to Bukit Pasoh Road to check it out today, dragging a friend along.


Clothes and food and books under the cut!




Outfit for today was Angelic Pretty's Sugar Pansy Doll JSK. It's really not a very lolita dress. It's very short on me, but poufs out naturally without a pannier. If I wore a petticoat underneath, the hem would barely skim the ends of my shorts. So.. a very nice sundress. Without the belt, it doesn't have any shape at all, rather like a muumuu. I guess that makes it very plus-size and pregnant-woman friendly? I have the bonnet, but I won't try to wear it while I don't have a fringe. Something I like about this dress is that the lace has pansies on it. AP lace is always very lovely...



Speaking of lolita, I'll just sidetrack to say HELLO TO MY NEW FORK & SPOON SOCKS.

I ordered them on reserve from Innocent World and they are so heartbreakingly awesomely gorgeous.

seee seeee seeeeeeee
asdfghjkl;


 The Reading Room is a short walk from Outram Park. Exit from Exit G and start walking.

hmmmm. The cafe turned out not to be exactly like my dream cafe, so I guess I still have the chance to bring that to life. (My vision was a lot darker and earthier, with a piano and bar stools as well as alcoves and basically nooks to read in.)
Perhaps the feel was different because I visited in the daytime. I'd like to go again at night one day, and will probably return again.
There's a decent selection of books. Normal mainstream titles the names of which I shall not mention because I don't want to encourage anyone to read them, some sci-fi, and some good. They've got quite a few Anne Rice and Stephen King novels in there. The thicker volumes are placed higher up on the shelves so you might need help to get them down.

I absolutely adore the dark green cushy chairs. They give the place a comfy vintage feel. There's nice portraits on the wall and cheeky signs behind the counter (bar-phone service. $50 to tell your wife you aren't there and never came.)
I had a ham and cheese panini and macchiato. All paninis come with a choice of salad, either potato or garden. I chose the garden. The vegetables are drizzled with a sauce that tastes like soy + sesame oil. The bread was decent. Macchiato comes in a reallly tiny espresso-size cup. One nice touch is the fancy gem biscuit they put at the side of the cup. A very nostalgic feel. I don't know what panini really is supposed to be, but I'm told it is simply smashed bread. Bread smashed flat =D so it's apparently more condensed and filling, but I was still hungry. u__u The sandwich was a decent size though.

My friend had the tiramisu (no pictures, but it wasn't bad. It was okay. I've had better.)
and crab croquettes (pretty yummy!)
the staff there are quite friendly and nice. The girl who served us was very cheerful. There is a 10% service charge but no GST. (did you know, signing up for GST is mandatory only if your yearly income exceeds 1 million SGD.)

If you are interested in checking out the Reading Room, they have a frequently updated facebook page over here: http://www.facebook.com/TheReadingRoom.com.sg?fref=ts


aand, I'm off to bed. Night!





0 comments: